Lives of the Saints

This blog contains my favorite collection of the lives of the saints. May their lives will serve as a divine guidance for us worthy of emulation in serving our God and fellow Christians.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

St. David I of Scotland (May 24)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


MAY 24
ST. DAVID I OF SCOTLAND


David was born in 1080. He was the youngest son of St. Margaret, queen of Scotland, and her good husband, King Malcom. David himself became king when he was about forty. Those who knew him well saw how little he wanted to accept the royal crown. But once he was king, he was a very good one.

St. David ruled his kingdom with great justice. He was very charitable to the poor. All of his subjects were free to visit him whenever they desired. He gave everyone a good example with his own love of prayer. Under this holy king, the people of Scotland united more closely into one nation. They became better Christians.

King David established new dioceses. He built many new monasteries. He gave much money to the Church during his rule of about twenty years.Two days before he died, he received the last sacraments. He spent his time praying with those attending him. The next day, they urged him to rest. King David answered, "Let me think about the things of God, instead, so that my soul may be strengthened on its trip from exile to home." By home, the saint meant our heavenly home. "When I stand before God's judgment seat, you will not be able to answer for me or defend me," he said. "No one will be able to deliver me from his hand." So he kept on praying right up until he died. St. David died on May 24, 1153.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home